Water and Sewage Service - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I need to do to open an account for water, sewer service?

You can apply for service at the Utility Customer Service office located in the Board of County Commissioners Office at 135 NE Hernando Ave. Lake City, Fl 32055. Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Monday through Friday You can also call us at (386) 758-1005 between those same hours.

By Mail
Written request for new service or transfer of service should be mailed to:

Columbia County
Utilities Customer Services
P O Box 1529
Lake City, Florida 32056

Written requests must include a completed and notorized residential application or commercial application, proof of ownership or rental agreement, payment for deposit and application fee.

Q: What is the amount of a deposit?

The deposit amount is different based on the services requested so please call the Utility Customer Service at (386) 758-1005.

Q: Where can I pay my bill in person and are there alternate payment methods?

In Person

Payments can be made in person at the Utility Customer Service Department at 135 NE Hernando Ave. Lake City, Fl 32055. Please remember to write your account number on your check to ensure your account is properly credited.


Payments can be made online via PayGov or NexBillPay via the link below, enter your account number and select the appropriate credit card processing link. https://www.columbiacountyfla.com/paygov.html

Q: How do I terminate my account?

In Person

You may come to the Utility Customer Service Department during our business hours to fill out a termination of service form or call us at (386) 758-1005. You will need your forwarding address, social security number, forwarding phone number & the date you would like service to be disconnected.

By Mail

You may also have your service turned off by mailing notorized Termination of Service Form to:

Columbia County Utilities
Utility Customer Services
P O Box 1529
Lake City, Florida 32056

Q: What do I need to do about changing my mailing address?

By sending the request in writing to P O Box 1529
Lake City, Florida 32056.

Or by emailing utilities@columbiacountyfla.com

Q: How often willi be billed?

Once per month you will be issued a bill that is due (20) days from the date of billing.

Q: What happens if I do not pay my bill?

Each consumer shall be billed 1 (once) each month for all water, sewer service consumed the preceding month, which charges shall be due and payable immediately and deemed delinquent if not paid within 20 days (twenty days) of the billing date. After the 20th day the Customer Service Department shall notify the customer in writing of the delinquency and establish a date not less than 10 days (ten days) after the notice date by which the delinquency must be satisfied. Each delinquent consumer's account shall receive a delinquency fee If your bill is not paid (30) days from the time of billing the service will be disconnected for non-payment and will not be restored until the account balance is paid in full along with a $50.00 per service reconnection charge.

Q: Who do I call if I want to dig in my yard and am not sure if utilities lines exist where I want to dig?

Digging in unmarked ground is very dangerous Call 811 to have utility lines marked before you dig.

Electric, gas, water and wastewater service lines, as well as telephone and cable television lines are almost certainly buried near your property. Guard against potentially fatal injuries, or at the very least from disrupting utility services, by calling a toll-free number to have the facility locations marked above ground.

Sunshine State One Call of Florida, Inc., was organized to protect you and those facilities Your single call will alert all member operators in your area and they will respond within 48 hours to mark the location of their facilities -FREE!

Call 811 before you dig! Visit the Sunshine State One Call Web site and learn more about their FREE utility marking service

Q: How often is my meter read for billing?

Your meter will be read once per month.

Q: What do I do if I believe my meter to be misread?

Please contact the Utility Customer Service Department at (386) 758-1005 to have a field service representative come to your home to re-read your meter and check for a leak. To reread a water meter, only based upon a request from a consumer, the fee shall be $35.00 for each time a request is made to reread the water meter. If it is found that your meter was misread in error your account will be credited for the correction and no fee will apply.